Monday, January 5, 2009

White Chocolate Oreo Snowmen




Looks amazing but easy. Anyone can make these cute, yummy snowmen. I made them for "The Annual Lach Christmas Party".

Around the holidays, even I look for shortcuts because I'm so busy.

I made the ever so simple Oreo truffle recipe of 1 lb. ground Oreo cookies and 8 ounces of softened cream cheese. Even the most inexperienced baker can make these to die for treats. I mixed the two ingredients and started to roll into three different sized balls to form a snowman. Press together one on top of each other so they stick and not roll off. They shouldn't be taller than 2 inches. After all, they are rich. Freeze.

While freezing on a parchment lined sheet pan, I melt white chocolate almond bark with about 2 tablespoons of shortening in deep narrow microwave safe bowl. I melt in the microwave constantly stirring breaking the small blocks of chocolate. Don't overheat! The key is constantly stirring between heating, about every 30 seconds.

Prior to making the snowmen, I purchased a long flat 2 inch thick Styrofoam piece at my local craft store. I cut 1/3 of it off with a serrated knife. The other 2/3 piece I covered with fake snow, trees, presents etc. which was applied with glue gun. I also purchased lolly pop sticks in two sizes.

Usually after the chocolate has melted, the Oreo snowmen have harden slightly. You don't want the snowmen to freeze completely. Please note: If you dip them in white chocolate frozen, when they thaw, they will expand and the chocolate will crack.

I carefully insert a lolly pop stick into the bottom of each snowmen, dip in the white chocolate, tapping gently off side of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place snowman stick side down into the spare 1/3 piece of Styrofoam. Repeat until all are dipped.

I piped a face with colored icing. I used a thick flat icing of confectioners sugar, water/milk, little corn syrup, and vanilla to taste.

To make it even easier, draw on a face or decorations with food safe markers that you can purchase down the cake decorating isle at your local craft store such as Michael's, Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, Joann Fabrics etc.

Have fun trying to make these adorable snowman. Don't be intimidated. YOU CAN DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment